It’s the end of July. The sun is out, it’s hot outside, and every once in a while, going to the pool or the beach to cool off sounds like a good idea. Like the average African-American woman, I am sure that much comes into play before deciding whether or not you should actually get in the water and enjoy a nice swim.
ut there’s good news! Taking a dip at the beach or in a pool does not mean that you have to sacrifice your hair. At Wholly Hair, we’re all about having our cake and eating it, too, if possible. In this case, that would entail maintaining great hair care and health while enjoying a beach or pool day out with friends. Here’s how to make that possible.
- Deep Conditioner: The day before your swim, you should consider deep conditioning your hair–especially if you plan on swimming without a shower cap. This serves at the perfect preemptive care, and will give your hair the love and care that it needs before it’s exposed to a harsh environment. Eden Body Works’s Jojoba Monoi Deep Conditioner is great for replenishing hair strength.
- Leave-In Conditioner: The Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Hair Cream is my personal favorite when it comes to a great leave-in conditioner. Not only is this product very easy to find at your local Walgreens, but it hydrates and moisturizes the hair AND protects your hair from harmful heat damage. In addition, this leave-in conditioner keeps my hair feeling soft and manageable throughout the day.
- Swim Cap: Many women do not event want to think about wearing a swim cap because let’s face it… they typically aren’t very aesthetically pleasing. However, wearing a swim cap would allow you to swim without exposing your hair to the harsh chemicals in the pool or the salt water of the ocean. If you want to enjoy your swim without having to worry about the following steps, I would suggest wearing a bold, but cute, swim cap like the one pictured here. I found it on SwimOutlet.com for $3.99!
- Rinse Off: Rinse out the chlorine and/or salt water and/or sand as soon as possible! If there is an outdoor shower nearby, it wouldn’t hurt to rinse off your hair until you can get to the sanctity of you own bathroom. Whatever the situation may be, do it ASAP!
- Gentle Shampoo & Conditioner: Dr. Tiffani Bailey Lash and Dr. Tashni Dubroy created Tea and Honey Blends as a natural hair care product line. Their Tea Tree Shampoo and Green Tea Goji Berry Conditioner serve as the perfect shampoo and conditioner to give your hair the cleansing that it needs without “over shampooing” your locks and allowing your hair to retain moisture.
- Sun Care Hair Protection System: To protect your hair from harmful UV rays, you may want to think about investing in a sun care hair protection system. If you regularly go out in the sun, I would suggest using one like the Aveda Sun Care System, which has excellent customer reviews.